Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dome on the Range (abridged)

Oh, give me a dome where the Springbok roam
Where the Astronomers and the Humidity fight;
Where seldom is heard a demoralizing groan,
And the sky is not cloudy all night.

Chorus:
   A dome! A dome!
   Where the Astronomers and the Humidity fight,
   Where seldom is heard a demoralizing groan,
   And the sky is not cloudy all night.

Oh! give me a spectrum where the exquisite planetary nebulae
Send their light in strong emission lines,
Where soareth along the majestic Verreaux's eagle,
High above the Cape's prized vines

   Chorus

How often at night, when the heavens were hidden,
With the bane of the Ridge Cloud
Have I stood here amazed, and asked as I gazed,
Where the hell are our stars?

   Chorus

The air is so pure and the breezes so gale-force,
The zephyrs so balmy and light,
That I would not exchange my dome here to range
Forever in azures so bright.

   Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment